Housing Services

The University of Rouen does not directly provide student housing, as is the case in other countries like the United States. In France, students that would like to obtain affordable housing should go through the state agency CROUS. Most often, students rent an independent studio that is accompanied with a small bathroom and kitchenette or a single room with a shared kitchen and bathroom. CROUS offers student housing at numerous sites in proximity to University of Rouen campuses. In order to obtain CROUS housing, students must be conscientious of the deadlines and fill out the appropriate paperwork, from January to May for the following academic year. Do be aware that a guarantor is necessary. Another state agency, CAF, offers students financial assistance toward student housing despite whether the housing is provided by CROUS or not.

CROUS student housing includes the following sites: 

  • La Residence du Bois
  • La Residence du Panorama
  • La Residence Galois
  • La Residence du Madrillet
  • La Residence Jardin Saint-Paul


Be aware that renting an apartment can oftentimes be difficult for international students outside the European Union due to all the requirements. Students must have a guarantor, or co-signer, that can guarantee rent payments, and is most often a French resident. Renting a room or independent studio from locals is another option. When renting a room, students usually are provided with furniture, can receive government financial assistance (through CAF) and do not have to worry about having a guarantor. Living with a landlord offers an affordable, easy solution, but not always ideal if students prefer to host friends at night or on weekends.





For students that absolutely need a guarantor for housing and do not wish to rent a room from a French local, there are two options. First, students can ask their French bank to be a guarantor. This options costs a small fee and secifique requirements depending on the bank. The second option is signing up for Clé (caution locative étudiante) which is a government agency that permits students to have the state as a guarantor for housing. This agency is run by CROUS and in order to obtain the state as guarnator, students must create an account and fill out the necessary paperwork. 

   Students can also find private housing through a French Agency or other internet sites. It is possible that students find landlords that are willing to rent a studio without a guarntor as long as the financial revenue can be proven.


To find out more about CROUS visit:

To find out more about government financial assistance visit:
For more information on Clé visit: 
Afficher l'image d'origine
Université de Rouen is a partner of HousingAnywhere.com, the international student-to-student housing platform. Students who are coming from abroad to Mont-Saint-Aignan can find & book a student room on www.HousingAnywhere.com. The rooms on this platform are offered by our students that go abroad for a study abroad semester, exchange, Erasmus or internship. Using the platform itself is completely free for you as a student; when you make a concrete booking an administrative fee will be charged as a part of Housing Anywhere’s secure booking system.
To rent a room from a departing student visit: https://housinganywhere.com/
For exchange students, please contact: mobilite.in@univ-rouen.fr